Monday, June 21, 2010

Help Wanted: Gardener!

Clearly, I'm not cut out for this job. Seriously. What was I thinking?! I hate bees, or really any insect that takes flight (including butterflies). I hate spiders, anything that crawls, slithers, or jumps.

I tend to think of myself as a fairly tough cookie. But, today, as I was digging up the lettuce in our garden that has overgrown and was choking out our carrots (and, for the record, tasted bitter at every stage of its growth), I realized that my toughness only goes as far as the fence around the vegetable garden, and does not, in fact, extend into said garden. I uncovered a gigantic mess of bugs. Earwigs, sowbugs (pill bugs), spiders, and these two gigantic larvae/grub type looking things!!!!! SICK!

I squealed a little bit, was very brave and captured the grub things in a jar so Ben could see them later, and ran back in the house.

Next year, we'll plant a tomato plant. Maybe. Or, we'll just stick to hostas. You can just plant those, and don't have to get anywhere NEAR them or the bugs that call them home.

I will take a picture of the grubs, and post it, so you can see. SICK!

1 comment:

  1. If I lived closer, I'd tend your garden for you....
    Bugs are our friends. :)

    ReplyDelete