Wednesday, August 17, 2011

GF Success!

So, I made gluten-free zucchini bread today and it was a RAGING SUCCESS! Thanks very much to my good friend, we'll call her "Dia-T" (not to be confused with my other good friend "Tiny T") and her blog Gluten Free in SLC. I was surprised by a few things:

1. It was so MOIST! (I hate that word, but it is very appropriate here). All the GF baked stuff I've had until now has been super crumbly and dry. This was soooooooo good!
2. It tasted really good! The flavors and textures were very close to non-GF zucchini bread, and I only noticed a very fine grit right at the end of my chewing and right before swallowing.
3. It was so light! I was surprised at how light this seemed to me, compared to eating glutened stuff. I never noticed before, but when I eat glutened baked goods, I feel this heavy filmy-ness (I don't know how else to describe it) in my mouth. The contrast between that and GF baked goods was interesting and so different, and I can only explain it as feeling "lighter".
4. I didn't have itchy eyes while baking. So, I have always thought that when I make things with flour that I must be breathing in the flour dust and it is irritating my eyes or something, because that happens to me every time I bake. My eyes get itchy/watery and my nose gets itchy too. That absolutely did not happen today! And let me tell you, tapioca starch is dusty and I think I breathed in more of it than I actually put in my bread! Sheesh, that stuff flies everywhere, but I had no itchies after baking! Again, weird, but something I just took for granted was "normal" until trying something different.

So, I was very heartened by this initial success. I know GF baking/cooking can be hard, and I was scared and didn't want to fail and get discouraged and give up. I count this as a little blessing that will encourage me to persevere! I'm sure I'll make a bazillion batches of gross stuff in the future, but this was a nice start to my(very slow and reluctant) exodus out of the land of Gluten. Thanks everyone who had a hand in my first success!

4 comments:

  1. Keep it up! I'm so glad to hear it went well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! My sister makes a mean gluten free bread with lots of seeds and stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Er, I had no knowledge of you gettin the itchies when you baked ?! Anyway, I agree about the difference in the "bogged down, dough-belly" feeling of Gluten-FULL stuff. I baked a batch of GF choc chip cookies for Marky and a batch of Nestle Toll house for Scotty on the first day of School. I could really tell a difference the way I felt after doing the taste test and post prandial challenge.

    GF-er's Unite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know I was getting the itchies either, until I baked a different way! Crazy, huh?! Um, and you need to give me that chocolate chip cookie recipe, please?! Mmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete