Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My (Wussy) Trip to Urgent Care

So, Monday morning started out much like any other morning. Ben got up, showered, woke me up to say morning prayers before he left for work around 7am, and I stayed in bed a little longer. I was still half asleep, but needed to test my blood sugar & take some insulin. I turned on this little flashlight thing to help me see that I keep next to my bed and usually use to read by at night.

I must have set the light on my covers while I was fiddling with my insulin pump, because after I was done fiddling, I swooshed the covers back towards me to try to tuck myself back in bed for a few more minutes of sleep, when WHACK! That stupid light smacked me right in the mouth!

At first I thought I had cracked a tooth, because it was so loud! When I felt around my mouth with my tongue, I realized all my teeth were still intact, but I started to taste blood. Grrrrreat. So, I stumbled out of bed (insulin pump trailing behind) and into the bathroom only to see a gigantic, fat, bruised lip with a cut that was bleeding like crazy.

And, instead of rationally dealing with it, I TOTALLY FREAKED OUT! I attribute this to two things:
1) Head/face wounds bleed a LOT more than normal cuts, so they can seem deceptively severe.
2) A few years ago, a co-worker of mine had a daughter that got a small cut on her lip. They were just going to brush it off & let it heal, but decided to go to the doctor just in case, and she ended up having to have a plastic surgeon stitch it up! She explained to us, that while the cut was small and only needed a few stitches, they had to make sure the stitches were super well-placed because of the vermilion boarder on your lip. If you don't stitch it back together just-so, you can end up looking like you have a wonky lip once your lip heals.

I did NOT want to have a messed up vermilion boarder (yes, I'm vain). And, I was too chicken to try to determine how deep the cut was, because it was bleeding all over the place.

So, I called Ben. And made him come home & take me to Urgent Care. And when I got off the phone and was waiting for him to come home, I cried. Hard! In my defense, it really hurt, I had basically woken myself up by smacking myself in the face with a hard plastic object, and it was only 730AM--NOT by best time on a normal day, let alone on a day when I try to beat myself up.

To make a long story short(er), we went to Urgent Care, I iced the crap out of it while waiting to be seen by the doctor, it wasn't deep at all, it didn't even need one stitch, and I'm pretty sure I was the laughing stock of Urgent Care that day. "Hey, did you see that lady who came in for a paper cut on her lip? Haa haa ha ha ha ha!"

Yeah.


3 comments:

  1. Oh so very sorry you had a bad experience. Urgent care is no fun. I hope your lip feels very much better now. Did they also ask you if you had been assaulted? I always got those kind of questions, maybe because I went to the emergency room a couple of times in the span of 60 days. Clutz that I am. :}

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it will make you feel better, Paul and I have been to urgent care four times for a suspected broken bone. Our record is one for four (better than oh-for-four, but not much). So embarrassing. Welcome to the club. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh good. Maybe it runs in the family? It does make me feel better though. Time for some more Huff/Carper family toughness training? :)

    ReplyDelete