I've finally done it! After 17+ years of having diabetes, I've finally found a combination of things to eat for breakfast that doesn't spike my blood sugar in the mornings! (Stupid dawn phenomenon!)
If I eat one whole grain ( it must be whole grain or else there's not enough fiber to slow down the absorption of the carbs) english muffin, 1 apple, and 1/2 C of cottage cheese and then take 6 units of insulin, my blood sugar stays stable after breakfast! This is a pretty amazing thing for me.
The only downside is, I have now eaten pretty much this same thing for the last month or so for breakfast.
So, I guess now it's time to experiment with other breakfast foods, but I'm reluctant to do so, because this is working SO WELL right now! Also, the stuff I really want to eat for breakfast (pancakes, waffles, smoothies, cereal and milk, etc.) has WAY too many simple carbs for my insulin-resistant-in-the-morning self to handle. Sigh. My body can however handle these things perfectly fine after about 1:00pm, so needless to say, we have Brinner in our house a lot.
Oh well. This is the nature of the 'betes. Everyday is one big science experiment.
Here's to finding a new "go-to" breakfast soon! And until then, here's to LOVING the morning without a post-breakfast blood sugar spike!
Wednesday, October 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

That is exciting news! Yay!
ReplyDeleteAnd I have the same thing for lunch about 90% of time - kind of by choice. Or habit.
Yay! Yogurt? Oatmeal? Raisins? Whole wheat cereal?
ReplyDeleteXXXOOO