Sunday, September 26, 2010

Confessions Part II

Some things that intimidate me:
1. Cooking large hunks of meat. For example, Thanksgiving turkey, Christmas ham, roast, etc.
2. Baking artisan breads, especially ones that require any sort of starter.
3. Sewing anything other than a straight line, or anything that could be messed up without exact measurements.
4. Standing up in front of people to do anything. (examples: directing music, giving a talk)
5. Making small talk with people I don't know (or with people I do know, for that matter).
6. Driving strange cars in strange places. Or just driving strange cars. Or just driving in strange places.
7. Women with skinny jeans, Ugg boots, over-sized purses and large sunglasses (and men with those things, for that matter.)


I started to make a list of things that do NOT intimidate me just now, but I could only think of 2 things, so I got discouraged and stopped. For the record those 2 things were:
1. Waiting until the last minute to write 10+ page papers. (EASY!)
2. Baking (with the exception of #2 above).

4 comments:

  1. Practice and lots of time, that's what most of those things take to feel confident.(Except in the case of meat- you need a lower temp added to the mix.)

    One day you will suddenly find you are not intimidated by most of those things...well I suppose the skinny jeans and ugg boot thing is just never acceptable.

    Hurrah for the 10+ page paper ability...I aspire to never need that skill.

    You are my hero.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, find numbers 4-7 intimidating (although, freakishly, I prefer giving talks to making small talk). I'm not intimidated by numbers 1-3, but I do regularly disappoint myself by my performance therein (unless a crock pot is involved, because then the large hunks of meat cook themselves).

    I think it's also worth pointing out that you aren't intimidated by watching a 6-week-old baby (something that occasionally makes me shake in my boots when I think about it for too long).

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the record, I was pretty nervous to watch that baby. I kept thinking "what if she stops breathing, or chokes on her own spit-up?" or other things along those lines. I'm pretty paranoid though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im with you on the large hunks of meat thing ! I just decided to never attempt it. I just invite myself up to Lori's for Sund. dinner instead !

    Artisan bread is dumb anyway ! You cant sink your teeth into it. Its scrapes up the roof of your mouth if you try to chew through the crust. I dont get the fascination with it at the stores, except maybe its a marketing thing to really play it up like Artisan bread is so cool...

    All it really is is big hunks of stale weird shaped bread that got over cooked and left out on the counter too long and then somebody puts a fancy label that says "artisan" and nobody really knows what "artisan" means but it sounds artsy-fartsy so they buy it !

    There !

    ReplyDelete