Thursday, March 29, 2012

Observations

Just some observations on this, the 29th day of March, the year of our Lord two-thousand and ten:

1. I watched people go in and out of a tanning salon today. Today was ridiculously beautiful, sunny and warm. Something is wrong with this picture. Why would you pay for sunshine when you can get it for free?

2. The serious lack of sidewalks that comes with living in the middle of the city drives me bonkers. Especially in the spring/summer when I want to go for a nice walk without the threat of being killed by traffic while walking on the side of the road. Also, I hate having to drive somewhere just to go for a walk. It seems counter-productive and offends my snooty eco-sensibilities.  Just another way that growing up in "Stars Hollow" has ruined me forever.

3. If I lived in England, the NHS would pay for my insulin. The NHS has lots of problems, but not having to pay for something that everyone else's body makes is very attractive to me. Also, being able to participate semi-fairly in a health care system/market is also something that makes the NHS very appealing to me. I've started doing some more research into health care in other English-speaking countries. We're a little worried in the Carper household about how we'll possibly be able to care for ourselves during retirement, especially since I have the 'betes. Seeing as the current Medicare system is pretty inadequate for taking care of a Type 1, and it only seems like it will get worse in the future, I don't really feel like we can count on that. So, we're exploring other avenues of getting insurance when we're old. Of course, emigration seems like the most viable option, right? ;)
Semi-related aside: When President Obama got elected, I remember reading on some girl's blog that she wept & prayed for America because she was afraid of what kind of country we'd become that we would elect such an "evil" president, and she was worried about what her boys would have to deal with in the future.  I mocked her.  Last night I literally prayed that Heavenly Father would soften the heart of just one more Supreme Court judge so that in June they would rule that the individual mandate didn't violate the constitutionally given powers of congress.  I wonder if that girl would mock me now? 



1 comment:

  1. It's 2012...not ten..just sayin'
    #1 Amen and Amen
    #2 Treadmill...takes care of a lot of walking issues. :)
    #3 Why oh why doesn't anyone in the US of A pay attention to how other countries are doing health care right? Hummm??????? If I die and I have any money left you can use that for insulin...or take my pancreas...just leaving it out there for the record. But you have to play Rutter at my funeral if you want the pancreas.

    ReplyDelete