Thursday, January 26, 2012

Throw another one on the pile, why not?

Hey friends. Sorry it's been awhile since I posted! I've been busy!  But, I wanted to let you all know something important.

I found out recently that I have been experiencing something called "supraventricular tachycardia" or "SVT."  It's a very benign heart condition, that basically means your heart isn't wired properly, so you get these strange flutters, skips, palpitations, heavy beats or fast heart rate every once in a while. I was having all of those crazy symptoms, so my doctor did an EKG and then a 30-day cardiac event monitor, and we figured out what it was. Now I will just be taking a small, low-dose of a beta blocker, which will lower my heart rate, and it should clear it all up. The treatment is very safe, super cheap (!), and even protective of my heart, which will be good for me because any damage diabetes might be doing will possibly be mitigated by this now. And, it is possible that it will eventually go away all on its own and that I won't experience this forever. Any way, the bottom line is, it's not dangerous, and very treatable. (And now I can say "I got a condition!" in a thick Brooklyn Jewish accent).

I just wanted to let everyone know, because you're my friends/family and I don't believe in hiding stuff like this from people. Also, it's the easiest way to explain to a bunch of people at one time so I don't have to tell everyone individually while I"ll be popping another pill, or doing things a little differently.

And, how do I feel about this, you may ask? Well, to be honest, extremely relieved! Having diabetes for 18+ years, with few complications thus far, I'm kind of always waiting for the floor to drop out from under me.  Heart disease is a known complication of diabetes, so you can see where I was going with this. Any way, we're just really grateful that it turned out to be not such a big deal!  It's another thing to add to the medical pile I'm developing, but such is life.  Everyone has their own challenges, right? I truly believe that a lot of our challenges are opportunities from God to grow and progress. I'm a fiercely independent soul and all of these medical conditions have helped me to learn to rely on others and especially my Heavenly Father.

So, there it is. I promise the next post won't be about something medical! (probably) :)

1 comment: